On 4/16/19, caretakers in Bloomingdale called about a pregnant cat.  Diane was able to get over there that afternoon but the mom had already had her six kittens.  Under patio furniture.  Diane scooped up the kittens and trapped the mom who seemed very friendly and brought them to Tammy.  We had a foster that was willing to take two sets of moms and babies and had just agreed to one that day.  When going to foster, the feral moms and the kittens are placed in a feral cat den that has a see-thru door and a portal on the side that allows the moms to feel safe but able to get out and away from the kittens if they want.

We had noticed some swelling on Molly’s belly but it wasn’t until she was actively nursing and was situated belly up that we saw how extensive it was.  Molly went to GEAH on 4/24 to be examined.  What a nice cat, she was quite willing to be handled!  Yes, the mammary tissue was swollen but milk was still passing thru and there did not seem to be any discharge, nor did she seem to be in any pain.  Instead of surgery at that time which would have been very traumatic due to the engorged tissue, etc., Molly was put on a long treatment of Amoxicillin to guard against infection, and it was an antibiotic that the kittens would be okay with.

As the kittens grew and Molly’s body adjusted, the masses (now more than one individual) were more prominent.  On 5/31, the kittens were eating on their own and it was time for Molly to go for spay and to have the masses addressed.  The vet had not seen anything like it and did not want to do more than necessary.  The largest mass was removed and sent for biopsy – we could not have this hanging over Molly’s head the rest of her life.

The surgery went well, it was like a larger than usual spay incision.  The biopsy came back and was determined to be mastitis.  At recheck on 6/4 she did have a fever so was given Convenia but went back home with foster.  On Sunday, 6/9 she was suddenly producing large amounts of pus from the incision.  She received fluids, intravenous antibiotics and on 6/11 received a radical mastectomy, with staples from sternum to pubis.  Over the next 3 days she was monitored, received fluids and enchanted all of the staff with how angelic she behaved.

6/14, she came to Tammy’s house for care.  Still purring all the time, she took her meds like a trooper, getting Clindamycin and pain medication for the next week.  Really wanted that cone removed, but was still in good spirits.  Once the meds were done, she finally had an appetite and the incision then progressed more rapidly. 

On 6/17 we popped over to have a culture done on the drainage she was still having to make sure Molly was getting the right antibiotic to counteract whatever bacteria was present.   Results indicated we were on the right track.

6/24 she went for staple removal.  All but 5 sutures were removed, two were replaced that had loosened, another convenia shot.  It looked so much better and she was continuing to have a great appetite, getting the collar off for mealtime but still coping and munching on dry food even with it on.

We’re almost at the end, will go for removal of the last 5 staples very soon!  We don’t usually tell a story until it has been completely resolved but Molly’s future looks bright indeed!  Soon, we hope that she will be able to get that cone off, go to foster, lay in the sun and await her new permanent home!  She should have a very special adopter!

Our cost for Molly’s care is about $1,600 after the Rescue discounts that GEAH has generously applied.  We are so glad that we were able to do this for her – with your help!

This is just another cat that we give the care and consideration

As If They Were Our Own!



(Click on any of the pictures to see a larger version)

Update - July 15th

Molly went to have the last of her staples removed on 7/12, we have pics from right after.  Just two days after that, there's just a small dot of inflamed tissue.  Cannot tell you what a huge transition this is from what was an astoundingly bad condition.  She is at a new foster with a foster room of her own and that cone should be gone completely in a matter of days.  Please share her story!  There are just 18 days left to match our goal of $3,200 and there is a donor waiting to see if we get there and they will donate more funds to be matched!  18 days - please don't wait til the last minute!



 (Click on any of the pictures to see a larger version)

And, a couple of short videos to show you how Molly is doing smile

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com