We capitalized on the extra day in this leap year by holding an adoption event at the Wheaton PetSmart on Saturday, 2/29, as part of the first PetSmart National Adoption Weekend of 2020.
7 wonderful kittens (Raleigh, Zippy, Pitcher, Grand, Minx, Mercury, Matilda), 2 teenagers (Fluff, Ocean), and 3 adult cats (Booshi, Donnie, Rosie) were the stars of our show. Everyone did very handling the commotion and interacting with our guests. Donnie especially enjoyed being held by his foster mom, Bonnie.
2 pre-approved adopters attended the event which resulted in 2 adoptions:
- Booshi stole the heart of a nice young gal from St. Charles. Booshi will be her first fur child on her own. She is preparing her apartment and plans to pick up Booshi in a couple of weeks.
- Pitcher was the pick of a wonderful pet loving family in Streamwood. They have a 10 yr old male cat and 8 yr old male dog to keep her company, which Pitcher will definitely appreciate. Pitcher went to her new home on Sunday.
Foot traffic started out strong at the start of the event. We received a volunteer application from a gal interested in helping transport our cats, which will be most appreciated once trapping commences later this spring. We also received a volunteer inquiry from a young gal interested in helping with future adoption events. Things slowed down a bit in the early afternoon, but rebounded by mid-afternoon when we received adoption applications for Rosie and Minx. Follow-up is underway.
Many thanks to the Wheaton PetSmart for hosting this event and for displaying our poster of adoptable cats & kittens in the store prior to the event.
While only 4 adoptions occurred since our last event on 2/15, the adoptions included 3 adult cats and 1 teenager :-)
- Sam was adopted by a nice family in Villa Park. Mom is becoming an empty nester this year as her last child heads off to college, and she was looking for a fur buddy to keep her company.
- Bobbie was adopted by a wonderful young gal in Aurora. He will be her first cat, and she took her time preparing for his arrival. Reports are that he is settling in nicely.
- Happy was adopted by a great gal in Elmhurst. She lost her last cat last fall and was looking for a new cuddle buddy. Happy is sure to fill that bill!
- Brass was adopted by a nice animal-loving gal in Chicago, who was looking for a furry roommate.
Thanks to the volunteers and fosters who made this event a success by promoting our kitties and interacting with our guests - Bernie, Candy, Steve, Diane, Cheri, Jennifer C, Bonnie, Karen L & April, and Kaitlyn. Most appreciated! Thanks to Bernie for completing all of the adoption paperwork. Thanks also to Laurel for coming to help with the set-up (we were done in record time!), and to Jennifer C for staying to help with the clean-up. It was a great day of volunteer camaraderie in addition to successful adoptions.
Many thanks for all of the other valuable contributions to this event - to Candy for the photography & videography during the event; to Connie, Stephanie and Ted for promoting the event and our cats & kittens on our Facebook page and web site; to Steve for the professional looking cage cards and the excellent elevated banner holder; to Debbie and Mike for the on-going updates to the Adoptable Cats & Kittens board and binder. Special thanks to Candy for coordinating our lunch run.
Since we have fewer available cats & kittens available at this time of year, we will take a 3 week break before our next adoption event. The next event is scheduled for:
- Saturday, 3/21, at the PetSmart at 1550 Butterfield Rd in Downers Grove (Finley Square Shopping Center), from 11am-3pm
Thanks to Steve for scheduling this event. Hope to see you there!