We had a wonderful assortment of kittens and cats at our adoption event on Saturday, 10/19, at the Downers Grove PetSmart. 20 kittens (Kahlua, Karlee, Carney, Penny, Kenny, Latham, Cobalt, Laces, Oyster, Stella, Fedora, Feather, Belle, Jingles, Roscoe, Salty, Carnegie, Caraway, Cari Ann, Cupcake) and 2 adults (Simon, Sissy) were the stars of our show. Everyone did very well interacting with our guests.
We also had wonderful sweet treats (cupcakes and cookies), complements of Sara, to offer our guests. Thanks, Sara!
We were visited by many folks interested in meeting our kittens and a few folks actually considering adoption. Cards and applications were distributed.
4 pre-approved adopters came to the event as well, resulting in the following adoptions and pending adoption:
- Belle and Jingles were adopted together by a great gal from Evanston. She had recently lost a male/female pair, and had always dreamed of adopting a tortie girl and orange tabby boy. A perfect match for Belle & Jingles!
- Simon was the pick of a nice couple from Mount Prospect and their 1 yr old son. Their son was fascinated with Simon, and Simon seemed to really enjoy interacting with him. They can only have 1 cat in their apartment, and Simon will definitely be happy being the center of their attention.
- Carney stole the heart of a terrific family from Carol Stream. They have 3 cats and a Golden Retriever dog, so Carney will have lots of company. He will likely most enjoy being held and cuddled by his new family members. Carney's adoption took place on Sunday evening.
- Cobalt or Roscoe are the top choices of a nice young gal from Wauconda. She has a cat-friendly dog who is looking for a buddy. A meeting is scheduled on Thursday with her dog so we can make a final decision on who is the best match.
In addition to these adoptions at or surrounding the event, 8 kittens were adopted from their foster homes in the two weeks since our last event (Tiffy, Opus, Little Foot, Kahuna, Katie, Schaun, Kirby, Miles). We have started out this week strong as well with the adoption of Stella, Carnegie and an older adult named Bella. There are also a few additional visits lined up for approved adopters later this week. So hopefully the momentum will continue through October.
Many thanks to the volunteers and fosters who made this event a success - Bernie, Sara, Steve & Michelle, Candy, Erin, Diane, Laura B, Julie K, Maria, Marisa/Dean and Amanda. A special welcome to Erin as a first time volunteer - we appreciate your help! Bernie, Sara, Steve, Michelle, Erin and Candy made set-up and clean-up happen very efficiently. Thanks much to Sara, Bernie and Candy for your help with adoption counseling and paperwork - couldn't have done it without you! Foster moms Diane, Laura B and Julie K also did a great job of interacting with our guests and promoting their fosters. Special thanks to Diane for transporting Amanda's fosters to the event.
Thanks also for all of the other valuable contributions to this event - to Candy for the photography & videography during the event; to Connie, Stephanie and Ted for promoting the event on our Facebook page and web site; to Steve for the professional looking cage cards; to Debbie and Mike for the on-going updates to the Adoptable Cats & Kittens board and binder; to Sara for doing all of the laundry since I was without a dryer; to Candy for washing the bowls; to Steve/Sara for coordinating our lunch run.
Our next adoption event is scheduled for:
- Saturday, 11/9, PetSmart at 63 Rice Lake Square in Wheaton, from 11am-3pm. This is the last PetSmart National Adoption Weekend of the year.
This will be followed by events targeted for Saturday, 11/23, and either Saturday, 12/7 or 12/14. Steve is currently pursuing the venues for these events. Details to follow.