Our adoption event on Sunday, 9/15, at the Wheaton PetSmart was part of PetSmart's 3rd National Adoption Weekend in 2019. We had a busy start to the event as we were visited by multiple pre-approved and almost pre-approved potential adopters. Foot traffic remained good during most of the event, although it waned somewhat at the end, likely in anticipation of the Bear's game. We were positioned midway down the center aisle of the store, which was fortunate, as there were several dog training sessions conducted at the front of the store with some very vocal dogs.
Many thanks to PetSmart for hosting this event and for their generous food and litter donation.
18 kittens (Penny, Caramel, Carly, Carney, Tansy, Brass, Latham, Franny, Frasier, Nina, Tiffy, Sandy, Monroe, Salty, Twiggy, Scilla, Sangria, Schaun) and 3 adult cats (Twinkle, Simon, Muffin) were the stars of our show. Everyone did very well greeting and entertaining our guests.
1 adoption was completed at the event by a pre-approved adopter:
- Frasier was adopted by a very nice family in Glen Ellyn. They had previously adopted a male kitten from us in 2015, who is now 4 years old. So Frasier will have a big brother to keep him company.
2 holds were placed by two almost pre-approved adopters:
- Franny stole the heart of a terrific couple from Elk Grove Village. They have had several cats and dogs in the past and now have a gentle 10 yr old female dog. Their application was approved and the adoption is scheduled for Wednesday evening.
- Twinkle was the pick of a great young couple from Lombard. He will enjoy getting all of their attention as their one and only cat. Their application was approved and the adoption is scheduled for Tuesday evening.
Two other applications were received; one of which has been approved.
- Tansy was found to be a perfect match for a sweet little girl and her dad from Aurora. Mom's approval was received through texted photos. Their application was approved and the adoption is scheduled for Tuesday evening. Tansy will enjoy the one-on-one attention as an only kitten.
It was a great day for these lucky kitties and a wonderful day of camaraderie among all of the volunteers and fosters who participated in or provided their fosters for this event, specifically Bernie, Candy, Steve, Whitney, Michelle, Diane, Amanda & Anthony S, Erika, Kim M, Laura B, Debbie, Dedra, Rita, Karen B, Julie M, and Amanda B. Thanks much for your help interacting with our guests and helping them find good kitty matches.
Thanks to Bernie, Steve, Whitney, Michelle and Candy for executing a seamless and efficient set-up and clean-up. Thanks also to Sara for coming near the end of the event and helping with the clean-up. Shout out to Marge and Ray as well, for stopping by to visit with their former foster kittens - they are now fostering some more little ones, who should be available for adoption soon.
Thanks for all of the other valuable contributions to this event - to Candy for the excellent photography & videography during the event; to Connie, Stephanie and Ted for promoting the event on our Facebook page and web site; to Steve for the professional-looking cage cards and volunteer name tags; to Debbie and Mike for the on-going updates to the Adoptable Cats & Kittens board and binder; to Steve for entering our many late August & early September adoptions into the PetSmart iPad; to Sara P for helping with the laundry; to Candy for washing the bowls; to Bernie for coordinating our lunch run.
Adoptions from our foster homes remained strong in August and have continued into early September. We had a total of 42 adoptions in August (the highest ever for the month of August!), resulting in 92 total adoptions in July & August - truly a record!! The momentum has continued into September with 17 adoptions since the beginning of the month. 20 kittens (Georgie, Nino, Brownie, Muddy & Mabel, Cookie, Loggia & Piazza, Keaton, Sammie, Keesha & Keebler, Scottie, Cupcake & Streusel, Montana, Ariana, Josie, Freckles, Frosty) were adopted in the three weeks since our last event. Much cause for celebration as these kitties are rescued from a life outside and given a loving home!!
We have 3 events scheduled for the remainder of September and October - thanks to Steve for handling the scheduling:
- Saturday, 9/28, Pet Supplies Plus at 270 N Bolingbrook Dr in Bolingbrook, from 11am-3pm.
- Saturday, 10/5, Two Bostons at 2523 W. 75th St. in Naperville, from 12noon-3pm. This is the annual Two Bostons Adopt-A-Rama.
- Saturday, 10/19, PetSmart at 1550 Butterfield Rd. in Downers Grove, from 11am-3pm.
Please mark your calendars!