Lots of inviting kitten energy radiated from our crates at the adoption event on Saturday, 8/24, at the Wheaton PetSmart, and many folks stopped by to interact and play with our wonderful kittens. It was a beautiful day, so fortunately the dog adoptions occurred outside, resulting in less commotion in the store.
There were 19 kittens in attendance (Sully, Subaru, Suzanna, Penny, Tansy, Keaton, Keesha, Kellogg, Keebler, Keyes, Sasha, Sammie, Salty, Josie, Max, Cookie, Streusel, Cupcake, Brownie). Everyone did very well. The Bakery gang (Cookie, Cupcake, Brownie, Struesel), Max & Josie and Sully, Subaru & Suzanna were especially engaging with the children who came to visit, as they batted at feathers and wand toys.
2 adoptions occurred just prior to the event at the foster home.
- Clover and Columbine were adopted together by a terrific family from Northbrook. They had recently lost their 2 senior cats and were looking for 2 new kittens to bring joy to their family.
3 adoptions occurred during the event:
- Max was adopted by a wonderful couple from Mundelein. They had previously adopted Max's sister, Callie, and after careful consideration, decided that they could handle a second kitten as well. I'm sure the brother/sister pair will be happy to be reunited.
- Sully and Subaru were adopted together by a nice young man from Woodridge. He recently settled in the area and was looking some feline companions.
A couple applications were completed and many cards were distributed. One of these applications has since been approved and meetings are currently being scheduled with Montana and Syracuse. This couple has a 10 yr old cat and recently lost her sister to illness, so they are looking for a new kitty who will be a gentle companion for their current cat.
Adoptions from our foster homes have also remained strong in August. 9 kittens (Galena, Saffron, Kenny, Ossie, Daisy, Callie, Alba & Alexander, Bagel) and 2 adult cats (Tomas & Molly) were adopted in the two weeks since our last event. Galena and Kenny were adopted by the families that met them at the 8/10 event. Tomas will enjoy being king of the house with a nice couple in Bartlett. Molly is enjoying being doted on by a wonderful couple in Hanover Park, who had been following her story on our web site.
Many thanks to ALL of the fosters and volunteers who make this great work possible! While there are days and times when the endless work and volume of cats/kittens can be overwhelming for all of us, it is our positive spirit, support of each other, and love of the cats that keeps us moving forward with this important mission. Thank you!
Special recognition to the volunteers and fosters who made the 8/24 event possible including efficient set-up and clean-up as well as adoption counseling and interaction with our guests - Sara, Steve, Whitney, Candy, Jen, Laura B, Diane, Lucy, Amanda & Anthony S, Julie M, Dedra/Marisa, Amanda B.
Thanks also for all of the other valuable contributions to this event - to Steve for arranging the event with the store; to Candy for the excellent photography & videography during the event; to Connie, Stephanie and Ted for promoting the event on our Facebook page and web site; to Steve for the professional-looking cage cards and volunteer name tags; to Debbie and Mike for the on-going updates to the Adoptable Cats & Kittens board and binder; to Steve for entering our many August adoptions into the PetSmart iPad; to Sara P for helping with the laundry and coordinating our lunch run.
We have 3 events scheduled for September and early October:
- Sunday, 9/15, PetSmart at 63 Rice Lake Square in Wheaton, from 11am-3pm. This is the 3rd PetSmart National Adoption Weekend of the year.
- Saturday, 9/28, Pet Supplies Plus at 270 N Bolingbrook Dr in Bolingbrook, from 11am-3pm.
- Saturday, 10/5, Two Bostons at 2523 W. 75th St. in Naperville, from 12noon-3pm. This is the annual Two Bostons Adopt-A-Rama.
Please mark your calendars!