We had an excellent turn-out of visitors and potential adopters at our adoption event on Saturday, 8/10, at the Naperville Pet Supplies Plus. Volunteers and fosters alike were hopping throughout the event introducing our guests to our wonderful cats & kittens, accepting applications, and completing adoptions. It was a very fulfilling and satisfying day :-)
No doubt this was due to the excellent line-up of cats and kittens in attendance at our event. We had 20 kittens (Kelly, Kenny, Keaton, Arnie, Arlo, Sammy, Sawyer, Callie, Josie, Max, Sealy, Seltzer, Clover, Daisy, Columbine, Ossie, Gatsby, Galena, Gallagher, Gabrielle) and 3 adult cats (Corazon, Tomas, Muffin) at the event. Everyone did a superb job of interacting with our guests.
6 kittens were adopted at the event:
- Arnie, our Abyssinian mix, stole the heart of a couple from Chicago. He is their 2nd fur child. He now has a 3 yr old Siamese mix brother.
- Sawyer, one of our handsome black boys, was the pick of a couple from Naperville. They adopted another male kitty in February and were looking for a buddy for him.
- Kelly, our Russian Blue mix, had drawn a lot of attention prior to the event. The gal in Oak Park who was first in line for him arrived at the start of the event and immediately felt a connection. Fortunately, her allergies did not bother her, so she took him home to be a companion for her two sons (ages 12 & 15) and her 8 yr old male cat.
- After much careful deliberation and visiting with several of our kittens, Sealy and Seltzer were the choice of a couple from Oakbrook Terrace. These are their first fur children on their own, although the gal had volunteered with cats at a shelter during college.
- Arlo won the heart of a couple from Chicago. He has a 1.5 yr old female cat to keep him company and show him the ropes.
On Monday following the event, Galena was chosen by a couple from Lombard who had recently lost their senior dog and cat. She will soon be paired up with a puppy to keep her company.
A couple additional applications were received, which are under review. All in all - a very successful event!
Thanks to Pet Supplies Plus for hosting the event and providing gift bags to our adopters.
Having closed out the month of July with 50 adoptions, we have started the month of August equally strong. 7 kittens (Alameda & Allysa, Thyme & Trillium, Twizzler, Artie & Arielle) and 1 adult (Angelo) were adopted in August prior to our event. Adding the 7 adoptions noted above, we have a total of 15 adoptions this month so far!
It was especially rewarding to see Angelo find a loving home. He was adopted by a single gal in Montgomery who had recently lost another orange boy. He will be her one and only and is sure to receive lots of love!
Many thanks to the volunteers and fosters who made this event a success - Sara, Steve, Bernie, Candy, Diane, Laura B, Lucy, Karen B, Marilyn, Kaitlyn. Thanks to Sara P, Steve, Bernie, Debbie and Candy for the smooth and efficient set-up and clean-up. Thanks to Sara, Bernie and Candy for your outstanding help with adoption counseling and adoption paperwork. Thanks to Diane, Laura B, Lucy, Karen B, Marilyn and Kaitlyn for bringing your foster kittens to the adoption event and helping promote them to our guests.
Thanks also for all of the other valuable contributions to this event - to Steve for arranging the event with the store; to Candy for the excellent photography & videography during the event; to Connie, Stephanie and Ted for promoting the event on our Facebook page and web site; to Steve for the professional-looking cage cards and volunteer name tags; to Debbie and Mike for the on-going updates to the Adoptable Cats & Kittens board and binder; to Sara P for helping with the laundry; to Steve for coordinating our lunch run and donating the proceeds to Feral Fixers.
We are an amazing team!
We have 4 events scheduled for the remainder of August, September and early October:
- Saturday, 8/24, PetSmart at 63 Rice Lake Square in Wheaton, from 11am-3pm.
- Sunday, 9/15, PetSmart at 63 Rice Lake Square in Wheaton, from 11am-3pm. This is the 3rd PetSmart National Adoption Weekend of the year.
- Saturday, 9/28 - please stay tuned for the location. Steve is working it.
- Saturday, 10/5, Two Bostons at 2523 W. 75th St. in Naperville, from 12noon-3pm. This is the annual Two Bostons Adopt-A-Rama.
Please mark your calendars!