It was a warm and sunny spring day when our adoption event began on Saturday, 5/18, at the Wheaton PetSmart. As the afternoon progressed, however, we watched a severe thunderstorm roll through bringing high winds and a downpour of rain. Fortunately, the worst of it passed before the fosters took their kitties home and we had to pack up the van. Thanks to Sara's quick thinking, she brought our sign inside before it blew away!
Foot traffic pretty well aligned with the weather, with several folks stopping by in the morning and early afternoon, and not much activity in mid-afternoon. 3 adult cats (Otto, Robin & Rosie) and 2 teenagers (Corazon & Elijah) were the stars of our show. Everyone took the event in stride and accepted petting and attention from our guests.
Several business cards were distributed and 2 potential adopters completed adoption applications.
- A gal from Rolling Meadows recently lost her 13 yr old cat to cancer and is looking for a new furry companion. Robin caught her eye initially, but she also visited with all of our kitties. Follow-up on her application is underway in anticipation of arranging some visits in the foster homes. Her friend recently adopted a pair of kitties from Feral Fixers and recommended us, based on the good experience she had :-)
- A couple from Glendale Heights recently lost their Maine Coon mix male cat and is looking for another similar boy. Currently our available Maine Coon mixes are all females, but follow-up is underway.
Thanks to PetSmart for hosting this event and for their generous donations of food and litter.
Thanks to the volunteers and fosters who made this event a success, namely Sara, Steve, Candy, Rita, Laura, Marilyn and Cheri/Skip. Great teamwork and interaction!
Many thanks also for all of the other valuable contributions to this event - to Candy for the excellent photography & videography during the event; to Connie, Stephanie and Ted for promoting the event on our Facebook page and web site; to Steve for the professional-looking cage cards and volunteer name tags; to Debbie and Mike for the on-going updates to the Adoptable Cats & Kittens board and binder; to Sara for helping with adoption counseling, the laundry and coordinating our lunch run.
There have been several adoptions since our last event in April.
- Echo was adopted by a young man and his partner in Chicago. They also have a very calm and friendly Yorkie. Based on recent photos, Echo and the Yorkie have become good friends.
- Olivia is an adorable 6 mo old kitten who was fostered in our Cat Depot (aka Jeff's garage). She was adopted by a gal in Lombard who was looking for a companion for her 8 month old kitten girl. Based on photos received, the girls are now BFFs!
- Dante was adopted by a young man in Elgin. He also has a 3 yr old male cat as a companion for Dante. This adopter is friends with Pennington's former adopter, and came to Feral Fixers based on their recommendation :-)
- Wooley is a ~1 yr old boy whom Cheri was fostering. He was a bit shy, so he was taken as a Foster to Adopt by a young gal in Elgin who previously adopted Millie. He is acclimating well in her apartment and he and Millie are becoming buddies.
- Missy was adopted by a couple in Roselle where she has 9 yr old female dog and a 15 yr old male cat to keep her company. Per last update, she is settling in nicely.
- Elan was adopted by a gal in Downers Grove who has an 8 yr old female cat to keep Elan company.
We have 2 adoption events currently scheduled for June. Please mark your calendars. Our spring kittens are healthy and growing up quickly in their foster homes. Some of them should be old enough to be spayed/neutered and ready for adoption starting with our events in later June and July.
- Saturday, 6/8, Shred for Rescues at Citadel Information Management, 827 Blackhawk Dr. in Westmont, 9am-1pm.
- Saturday, 6/22, Pet Supplies Plus, Naperville or Villa Park store - tbd, 11am-3pm - PSP National Adoption Day.