Holding our adoption event on Sunday this past weekend, 1/13, at the Wheaton PetSmart, turned out to be a great choice weather-wise. We missed Saturday's snow storm and the roads were sufficiently cleared to enable our fosters and a good number of guests, even from distance locations, to attend the event. We had a successful day :-)
We were also situated in the center aisle of the store, farther away from the dog training area, so barking was not as much of an issue. 15 kittens (Sweet Potato, Squash, Pumpkin, Baxter, Breezy, Allegro, Alto, Petey, Daphne, Pesto, Pickles, Cowboy, Corazon, Winkie, Irish) and 2 adults (Aviva, Hodges) were the stars of our show. Although somewhat frightened in the noisy store environment, everyone did a great job of impressing our guests.
5 kittens were adopted at the event by pre-approved adopters:
- Sweet Potato was adopted by a terrific family from Batavia. Their 10 year old daughter loved him. In addition to his new human buddies, Sweet Potato will have a 7 yr old female cat to keep him company.
- Daphne and Pesto won the heart of a nice couple from Huntley. They will be the couple's first fur children in their new home. They had a separate room complete with cat tree all set up for them.
- Baxter and Breezy were the choice of a wonderful couple from Big Rock. They have another cat and large dogs, so Baxter and Breezy will feel right at home, having been fostered in a home with other cats and large dogs. These folks are true cat lovers. They previously took several of our feral cats requiring relocation to live in their horse barn and shop. Thanks much!
An application was also received for Winkie and Winette from a great family in Carol Stream. They lost 2 cats previously and were looking for new companions for their 7 & 9 year old sons. Their application has been approved and a visit is scheduled for next week.
Cowboy and Corazon caught the eye of a nice couple from Chicago, but they stopped at another event after ours and found new kitten companions there.
Many thanks to PetSmart for hosting this event. Thanks also for the heated pet beds and mats that they donated to us earlier in the week.
Adoptions have been strong from our foster homes since our last adoption event on 12/15/18. 24 kittens (Duncan, Constance & Cotton, Star, Canfield & Cancun, Gladstone, Hazel & Pasquale, Onion & York & Winona, Neroli, Kayak & Ampere, Bruce, Diego, Twister & Yori, Digger, Parsnips & Butternut, Canada & Canape) and 2 adults (Nina, Iris) have found loving homes.
We closed out 2018 with 294 total adoptions for the year. Since becoming a licensed shelter in June 2013, we have placed 1497 cats & kittens in loving homes. Quite an accomplishment for a dedicated group of wonderful volunteers & fosters!!!
Many thanks to the volunteers and fosters who made this event a success (Sara, Steve, Candy, Alan, Kellie, Diane, Debbie, Bonnie, Amanda, Jennifer, Laura B, Kevin, Julie, Annalise, Marilyn). A special welcome to Alan & Kellie, our newest volunteers, who quickly picked up and did what needed to be done. The teamwork with set-up, clean-up, adoption counseling, adoption paperwork and interacting with our guests was commendable and most appreciated!
Many thanks also for all of the other valuable contributions to this event - to Candy for the excellent photography & videography during the event; to Connie, Stephanie and Ted for promoting the event on our Facebook page and web site; to Steve for the ever-improving professional-looking cage cards; to Debbie and Mike for the on-going updates to the Adoptable Cats & Kittens board and binder; to Sara for helping with the laundry; to Sara/Steve for coordinating our lunch run.
Following Frosty Claws this coming Sunday, 1/20, at the Villa Park VFW (39 E St Charles Rd, Villa Park) from 12noon-4pm, we have 3 more adoption events planned for January & February:
- Saturday, 1/26, at the Pet Supplies Plus at 720 E. Ogden Ave. in Naperville, from 11am-3pm
- Saturday, 2/9, at the PetSmart at 63 Rice Lake Square in Wheaton, from 11am-3pm
- Sunday, 2/24, at the PetSmart at 63 Rice Lake Square in Wheaton, from 11am-3pm - this is the first PetSmart National Adoption Weekend in 2019
Hope to see you there!