While it was a good opportunity for networking among fosters and volunteers, it was a slow day for adopters at the Saturday, 9/8, adoption event at Pet Supplies Plus in Naperville. We were relocated from our prior spot at the front of the store to the back corner, which likely contributed to the lack of foot traffic. Discussions are underway to modify this location for future events.
20 kittens (Bruce, Baxter, Breezy, Winkie, Winette, Twister, Duke, Neroli, Gilbert, Garbo, Gigabit, Joule, Alejandro, Alonzo, Sirius, Ra, William, Harry, Juliet and Ophelia) and 1 adult cat (Princess Peanutbutter) were the stars of our show. The kittens generally took the event in stride. Neroli, Alejandro and Alonzo, in particular, were hamming it up before nap time set in around 1pm. Princess Peanutbutter was rather nervous, but when we put her torti daughter Ophelia (who looks just like her) in the cage with her, that helped to calm both of them down.
We were visited by two pre-approved adopters and a few potential adopters.
- One of the pre-approved adopters is a family with two young sons who are looking for a pair of kid-friendly kittens. Alejandro & Alonzo and Juliet & Ra were their top choices. Unfortunately, their younger son has cat allergies. So we sent them home with some towels rubbed on each of the kittens and they are doing some testing at home.
- The other pre-approved adopter is looking for an adult cat. Princess Peanutbutter was not quite the right match, but we discussed several other options. He will likely be visiting the cats in the Cat Depot as well as some of Diane's fosters.
Fortunately, we had a good day of adoptions outside of the event:
- Kingfisher and Finch were adopted by a family in Elmhurst. They will have 4 children to cuddle and play with.
- Wendie and Weiko were adopted by a family in Palatine with 2 young children and a stay at home mom.
- Wiffle and Willie were adopted by a couple from Schaumburg who completed an application at our Clear the Shelters event. They had met some of our other cats and kittens in the meantime, but ultimately decided on Wiffle and Wille.
- Jubilee (our highly sought after Russian Blue mix) and her brother Cobbler were adopted by a couple in Batavia. It is a nice quiet home with no children or other pets, and the kittens seem to be adjusting nicely.
- Jackie (another popular Russian Blue mix) was adopted by a family in Chicago. She will have 2 children to play with.
- Duke II was adopted by a gal in Batavia, who was looking for a work from home buddy.
In addition to these 10 kittens who were adopted on Saturday, 2 additional adoptions were completed to folks who completed applications at the 8/18 Clear the Shelters event:
- Jabiru was adopted by a young couple from Monee who was looking for a companion for their 5 month old female kitten.
- Amber was adopted by couple in Oswego. While she showed us her independent streak when loading her into the carrier, she is settling in nicely in her new home.
July and August were record months for us in terms of adoptions relative to prior years, with 35 adoptions in July and 41 in August! Going into the month of September, things have slowed a bit, likely due to families' focus on their back-to-school routine. Hopefully things will pick up soon, as we have 70+ adorable kittens in foster homes, and more fall kittens to be rescued from outside before the weather gets cold.
Many thanks to the volunteers and fosters who interacted with our guests and made the event possible (Sara, Bonnie, Steve, Diane, Jennifer, Joanie, Marjorie & Murray, and Marisa). It was a bit of an adjustment setting up in our new (and hopefully temporary) location, but everyone handled it well.
Special thanks for all of the other valuable contributions which made the event a success - to Steve for the photography during the event; to Connie, Stephanie and Ted for promoting the event on our Facebook page and web site; to Mike and Debbie for the updates to the Adoptable Cats & Kittens binder and board; to Sara for creating the cage cards, coordinating lunch and helping with the laundry.
We have two more adoption events scheduled in September:
- Saturday, 9/15 - PetSmart National Adoption Weekend at PetSmart located at 63 Rice Lake Square in Wheaton from 11am-4pm.
- Saturday, 9/22 - Two Bostons Adopt-A-Rama at Two Bostons located at 2523 W 75th St in Naperville from 12noon to 3pm.
Details will be coming soon.