As the 2018 spring kittens are coming of age to be spayed/neutered and available for adoption, our adoption activity has soared. In July, 35 cats & kittens were adopted into loving homes. As I write this on August 15th, we have completed 28 adoptions in August so far. So we could be on the road to even higher numbers in August! While the majority of these adoptions have been kittens, in July 13 of the 35 adoptions were adult cats! Many, many lives saved :-) Thank you to all of the trappers, fosters and other volunteers who make all of this possible!
The 8/11 adoption event at Pet Supplies Plus in Naperville was, accordingly, a busy and productive day. 23 kittens were the stars of our show (Branson, Baxter, Breezy, Bruce, Tucker, Azucar, Sail, Schooner, Colin, Columbine, Onion, York, Winona, Wendie, Weiko, Kelsey, Moe, Mollie, Morty, Moonbeam, Mango, Hobby, Fargo). Everyone was adorable and admired by our guests.
7 kittens went home from the event to three pre-approved adopters and one other family who was approved during the event. 3 other adoptions have occurred since the event, and 3 more visits are scheduled.
- Mango and Hobby won the heart of a nice young couple from Bensenville. They will be their first fur children and are likely to receive lots of attention.
- Branson proved to be the match for a wonderful family from Lombard who was looking for a kitten for their daughter who was not frightened by their large, but very gentle and well-behaved German Shephard dog. After trialing a few kittens, Branson demonstrated that he would take the situation in stride and be undisturbed by the dog.
- Mollie and Morty were the pick of a nice couple from Carpentersville. They will be the family's first pets and good companions for their two children.
- Colin and Columbine found a loving home with a terrific family from Naperville who had lost their cat in the spring. They also have a 4 your old dog, and reports are that the kittens are already making friends with the dog.
- Moe was adopted from his foster home following the event by the nice family from Vernon Hills who adopted King from us last year.
- Azucar was also adopted from her foster home by a great couple from Lombard who recently lost their 18 yr old cat. She will have a large but gentle 11 yr old dog as her companion.
- Fargo has won the heart of his wonderful foster family in Naperville, and they have decided that he cannot leave! He will have 2 other young male cats as his playmates and an older female cat to keep him in line.
Visits are also scheduled with potential adopters for Schooner, Tucker and Moonbeam.
15 kittens were adopted since our 7/28 event - Cutter, Kenny & Spock, Ferry & Fawler, Outrigger, Tanker & Trawler (previously returned due to allergies), Farah, Gina, Robin & Sparrow, Winston and Agave & Splenda. 2 adult cats from the Cat Depot (Frankie & Johnny) went home with a terrific young gal from Warrenville. Our summer intern, Bridget, adopted Smokey, our handsome and affectionate 11 yr old FeLV+ boy. He will be her college companion. Many happy endings :-)
Many thanks to the volunteers and fosters who made the event possible. Set-up and clean-up went very smoothly and efficiently thanks to Sara, Bernie and Bonnie. Thanks to our foster moms (Bonnie, Candy, Diane, Laura, Marilyn, Gillian, Stefny, Melissa, Kaitlyn and Catherine) who brought their foster kittens to the event and were able to stay for all or a portion of the event to interact with our guests and adopters. Thanks to Sara and Bernie for help with adoption counseling and completing adoption contracts. It was a busy day - I couldn't have done it without you!
Special thanks for all of the other valuable contributions which made the event a success - to Candy for the photography and videography during the event; to Connie, Stephanie and Ted for promoting the event on our Facebook page and web site; to Bernie & Sara for creating cage cards on the fly (we missed you, Lauren!); to Mike and Debbie for the updates to the Adoptable Cats & Kittens binder and board; to Diane for transporting Kaitlyn's kittens to the event; to Sara for help with the laundry and for coordinating our lunch run.
We have a number of upcoming adoption and adoption-related events scheduled in August & September:
- Saturday, 8/18 - Clear the Shelters Adoption Event at DuPage Count Animal Services located at 120 N. County Farm Rd in Wheaton, from 11am-4pm.
- Saturday, 8/25 - Pints for Paws Fundraiser & Adoption Promotion event, sponsored by Two Bostons, at the Crosstown Bar and Grill located at 909 E. Ogden Ave in Naperville from 12noon-2pm. We will be showcasing just a few of our out-going kittens at this event.
- Saturday, 9/8 - Adoption Event at Pet Supplies Plus located at 720 E. Ogden Ave. in Naperville from 11am-4pm.
- Saturday or Sunday, 9/15 or 9/16 - PetSmart National Adoption Weekend at PetSmart located at 63 Rice Lake Square in Wheaton from 11am-4pm.
- Saturday, 9/22 - Two Bostons Adopt-A-Rama at Two Bostons located at 2523 W 75th St in Naperville from 12noon to 3pm.
Please mark your calendars and plan to attend.