Our adoption event on Saturday, 6/23, at the Pet Supplies Plus on Ogden in Naperville marked the start of our 2018 kitten adoption season. 4 sweet kittens (Timex, Markie, Mississippi & Missouri) and 5 wonderful adult cats (Luca, Marci, Chip, Peony & Bali) were the stars of our show.
Although foot traffic was a bit light, several of the folks who stopped by were very interested in adopting or fostering our kittens or cats. 2 kittens and 1 adult cat were adopted during or since the event, and we received a kitten fostering application, which seems very promising.
- Timex won the heart of a wonderful couple from Lisle. They had adopted a female kitten from us in the fall of 2016 and felt it was time for her to have a companion. The couple was pre-approved and Timex did not even make it into his cage at the event - he went directly from the foster's carrier to the adopter's carrier, after a short get acquainted session in the store's bathroom :-)
- Markie was the favorite of a terrific gal from Bolingbrook. She has a 3 yr old female torti girl, so we are all hoping that Markie will win her over. Markie went home on Monday and initial reports indicate that he is settling in well.
- In 2 short days, Luca worked his charm with his new foster mom, Laura from Bolingbrook, and she sent me a note on Sunday saying that she would like to adopt him :-) She had just taken him to foster from our Cat Depot (Jeff's garage) on Friday. Luca gets along well with Laura's other cats and even allows her 5 yr old granddaughter to pick him up! Clearly he is happy there. The extra good news is that Laura will also continue to foster for us :-)
To top off the day, Pet Supplies Plus gave us a generous donation of food and litter, and we received a few monetary donations as well. It was a successful event!
Many thanks to the volunteers and foster moms who made the event a success, specifically Bernie, Sara, Lauren, Steve, Candy, Marjorie, Gillian, Laura, Diane, Rita D and Cheri. Your help with set-up, clean-up and interaction with our guests was most appreciated.
Special thanks to Candy for the photography and videography during the event, to Connie, Stephanie and Ted for promoting the event on Facebook and our web site, to Lauren for the adorable cage cards, to Mike and Debbie for updating the Adoptable Cats & Kittens book and board, and to Sara for helping with adoption counseling, completing adoption paperwork and doing laundry.
I am working on scheduling 2 adoption events in July on 7/14 and 7/28. Tentative plans are as follows. I will send an email and the Event Calendar will be updated when the dates are finalized.
- Saturday, 7/14 - PetSmart at 63 Rice Lake Square in Wheaton, from 11am-3pm
- Saturday, 7/28 - Bentley's Pet Stuff at 624 N York Rd in Elmhurst, from 11am-3pm