It was the second National Adoption Weekend in 2018 at PetSmart last weekend. We held our adoption event at the Wheaton PetSmart on Sunday, 5/20. Wish Upon a Rescue was at the store as well, featuring a number of adorable dogs available for adoption.
5 adult cats (Cerena, Trixie, Bali, Luca, Babette) and 1 kitten (Lawrence) were the stars of our show.
- Luca enjoyed the attention and petting of all of our guests, especially the men.
- Lawrence was his normal sweet and adorable self. He was in the crate next to Luca and he really wanted to be Luca's buddy, but Luca wasn't quite sure he wanted to mentor a youngin'.
- When she wasn't curled up in her foster mom's jacket, Babette was curled up in her bed, watching our guests go by, with those gorgeous green eyes.
- Cerena looked queenly as she took the event in stride, watching folks come and go from her throne (aka litter box) ;-)
- Trixie hung in there, although it seemed she was dreaming about getting back home to sit next to her foster dad!
- Bali appeared shy, but she perked up, rolled around and even talked when folks took the time to reach in and pet her. She is a sweetheart.
Everyone did very well.
Babette won the heart of a couple who had sent in their application prior to the event. Interested in a medium to longer fur kitty to replace their recently departed companion, they had originally inquired about Gracie, but when they met and spent some time with Babette, she won them over. Their application was approved on Monday and a pick up date is being scheduled.
Foot traffic was pretty good and we handed out cards to a number of other folks who stopped by to meet our kitties. PetSmart had also run a food drive and gave us a generous donation of food - thank you, PetSmart!! We also received a very generous food donation from one of our key supporters - much appreciated and critical now with kitten season upon us!!
Many thanks to the volunteers and fosters who made the event a success - Bonnie, Lauren, Sara, Bernie, Candy, Diane, Laura, Carmen and Jeff. Your participation and camaraderie were greatly appreciated. Set-up was a breeze thanks to Bonnie, Sara and Bernie. Clean up went equally smoothly thanks to Bonnie, Lauren and Candy. Bonnie, Diane, Laura, Carmen and Jeff - Thanks so much for bringing your fosters and talking with our guests. It was also great to have Lauren back to meet and greet our guests.
Thanks to Candy and Sara for the excellent photography and videography during the event, and to Connie, Stephanie and Ted for providing real-time Facebook coverage and for advertising the event in advance. We had awesome cage cards again thanks to Lauren. Thanks also to Debbie and Mike for updating the Adoptable Cats & Kittens board and binder, and to Sara for helping with the laundry.
It is great that all of our available cats & kittens now fit on a single side of the board, as many have been adopted. But that won't be the case for long, as there are currently 25-30 kittens in foster care, and that is just the beginning. So stay tuned for future adoption events as our adoptable kittens will be coming available in mid-June.
Our next event is Shred for Rescues at Citadel Information Management in Westmont on Saturday, 6/9, 9am-1pm. Since it is an outdoor event, we will only have a few cats or kittens at the event, but we will have our board and binder of adoptable cat & kittens and will be happy to take applications.
Our next regular adoption event will be at Pet Supplies Plus, likely on Saturday, 6/23 (date to be finalized), where we plan to feature some 2018 spring kittens as well as wonderful adult cats.