We had another busy and successful adoption event at the Wheaton PetSmart on Saturday, 2/17. It was the first PetSmart National Adoption Weekend in 2018. Fortunately, the snow held off long enough that it did not deter many interested adopters from coming to meet our wonderful cats & kittens.
8 kittens/teenagers (Portillo, Trixie, Toasty, Ding Dong, Magenta, Ruddy, Lucy, Swizzle) and 3 adult cats (Tony, Chica, Tio) were the stars of our show. Everyone did very well interacting with our guests. You may have seen Tio sporting his St. Patrick's Day hat & bow tie on our Facebook page, compliments of Julie. The green accents really brought out is his gorgeous green eyes!
Of these 11 cats & kittens, 6 found homes during or immediately following the event, and visits are scheduled with a few others this week. Unfortunately, 1 of the 6 had to be returned due to unanticipated cat allergies.
- Magenta went home with a couple in Warrenville. They met her at her foster home previously. Magenta will have a very gentle 100 lb male dog as a companion. He stuck his nose at the door of her cat carrier, and she seemed anxious to meet him. They will likely be buddies in no time.
- Chica was adopted by a family in Hinsdale. She was to be their first cat and a friend for their 14 yr old daughter. Unfortunately, mom learned she has pretty severe cat allergies. So Chica was returned on Tuesday. Fortunately, Chica is a very sweet, social and adaptable girl, so she handled the changes in stride. We hope to find her a forever home soon.
- Lucy won the the heart of a lady from Lombard who had recently lost an orange cat ironically named Lucy. Her situation seemed to be a perfect match for our Lucy. She is proceeding with the adoption but will wait to take her home until she returns from vacation in early March.
- Ruddy was adopted by a family in Villa Park, who had recently lost a black cat. Ruddy will have an adult male cat and two large Schnauzer dogs as companions.
- Tio was adopted by a family in Warrenville. They picked him up on Sunday. He is their first cat and will be a companion for their 9 yr old daughter. Tio seemed very content being petted by the daughter at the adoption event.
- Swizzle was adopted by a couple from Addison. They also picked her up on Sunday. She will have a very mellow 7 mo old male pug dog as a companion.
In addition, Diane is scheduling visits this week with several of her fosters (Trixie, Ding Dong, Portillo), so we are hopeful for more upcoming adoptions.
A former foster of ours also stopped by interested in foster again. We were delighted to receive this offer and will be setting them up with a new buddy this week.
The winter months seem to be a good time for folks to bring home new furry feline friends, kittens and adults alike. 3 adults (Gibbs, Spark, Tony II) and 9 kittens/teenagers (Laszlo, Bitsy, Winnie & Peter, Honda, Huggy, Scooby & Scrabble, Emmy Lou) were adopted from their foster homes since our last adoption event on 1/27. It is wonderful to see these older kittens and adults find loving homes!
PetSmart conducted a huge food drive and donated several boxes of food as well as other cat supplies to us. Many thanks to PetSmart and the generous donors! It will help to stock our shelves and provide to our fosters.
Thanks much to the volunteers and fosters who helped to make the event a success, namely Sara, Bonnie, Laurel, Candy, Julie, Diane L, Leslie, Christine R, Marilyn and Michelle S. The interaction of the foster moms with potential adopters is the key to successful adoptions - thank you!
Special thanks to Julie and Candy for the excellent real time photography and videography during the event, to Sara, Bonnie, Laurel, Candy and Julie for efficient set-up and clean-up, to Sara for adoption counseling and contract preparation, to Candy for entering all of our adoption information in PetSmart's system, and to Laurel for making a special run to my house to pick up some paperwork!
Many thanks also to Connie and Ted for advertising the event and providing real time coverage on Facebook and our web site, to Lauren for providing the cute cage cards, to Debbie and Mike for updating the Adoptable Cats & Kittens board and binder, and to Sara for helping with the laundry. Welcome and thanks also to Jessie, a new member of our team, who will be helping with future events.
A terrific team effort once again! This is truly the key to our success.
Our next adoption event is scheduled for Saturday, March 10th, at the Pet Supplies Plus at 720 E. Ogden Ave. in Naperville from 11am-3pm. We plan to feature a few of our FIV+ boys there, who are very sweet, in addition to our other wonderful cats & kittens.