The weather was beautiful on Saturday, 9/30, for our outdoor adoption event at Two Bostons on 75th St in Naperville. It was their 8th annual Adopt-A-Rama and the 4th time we participated. I think this was the best weather we have had - much better than the rain, cold and heat we experienced in prior years.
It was a festive event with booths from many shelters and rescues, mostly featuring their adoptable dogs. There were a few other cat rescues. The booth next to ours was occupied by CatVando, our sister TNR organization serving Chicago and Cook County. St. Sophia's was across the aisle from us featuring some of their kittens. It is a stressful event for the cats & kittens being outside with all of the dogs, people and commotion.
We had 7 cages set up in my van to accommodate our kittens and help them feel a bit more protected. 13 kittens bravely participated - Baby Ruth, Vernon, Bernadette, Belinda, Lando, Larissa, Plink, Plexi, Rumaki, Ruthie, Beethoven, Bechamel, and Benchley. It was a stressful day for several of them, but everyone handled it as well as could be expected.
We had 3 adoptions that occurred at the event to pre-approved adopters:
- Belinda was adopted by a terrific family in Oswego. They previously adopted another female kitten from us in September 2015 and also have a 3 yr old male cat.
- Larissa and Lando were adopted by a great family from Naperville. They had met the kittens at our 9/16 adoption event at PetSmart, and were delayed in adoption due some family issues, but were ready to take the kittens home last Saturday. Lando and Larissa walked right into their carriers - obviously clued into the fact that something good was ahead!
- We also received an application for Baby Ruth at the event, which has since been approved. She will be going home shortly to be the companion of a nice gal in Joliet who recently lost her cat.
Many other folks stopped by to meet our kittens and view our board and binder of adoptable cats & kittens, and we handed out many cards. We also featured a few of our cat related boutique items and made a sale or two. It was a successful day :-)
In addition to these adoptions, we can also celebrate the adoptions of 7 cats & kittens since our last event, specifically Bella, Alexa, Natasha, Wyatt, Billie Jo, Pawly and Max. It is nice to see a few adults (Bella, Alexa, Wyatt) being adopted in addition to our wonderful kittens.
Thanks much to the volunteers and fosters who made this event possible, specifically Bernie, Lauren, Candy, Sara, Shawna, Mary, Diane, Karen, Sarah, Jillian & Kaitlyn.
Thanks also to our behind the scenes crew for their usual outstanding contributions - Candy with photography/videography, Connie with advertising and live Facebook coverage, Lauren with catchy cage cards, Debbie and Mike with Adoptable board and binder updates, and Debbie/Sara with laundry. Great work everyone!
Next weekend will be a busy one with events on both days:
- Saturday, 10/7 - Adoption event at Pet Supplies Plus at 198 W North Ave in Villa Park, from 11am to 3pm - Pet Supplies Plus National Adoption Weekend
- Sunday, 10/8 - Adoption event at Congregation Etz Chaim Jewish Synagogue at 1710 S. Highland Ave. in Lombard, from 11am-2pm. We will be one of several charities they will be hosting for their Mitzvah Day.