It was PetSmart's National Adoption Weekend last weekend, and our adoption event on Saturday, 9/16, at the PetSmart at 63 Rice Lake Square in Wheaton was quite a success!
21 kittens (Anemone, Angela, Becky, Bernadette, Belinda, Benito, Finley, Rumaki, Ruana, Ruthie, Vernon, Aeon, Plexi, Plink, Opal, Tipper, Tugger, Larissa, Lando, Poo-Bah, Baby Ruth) and our adult ambassador of good will (BeeJay) were in attendance. Everyone did a great job of showing our guests their sweet personalities!
- 3 kittens were adopted from the event - Opal, Tipper & Tugger went home with a wonderful pre-approved couple from Westmont who recently lost their second of 2 cats. They came early to the event and even helped us set up!
- 4 other applications were received, which are likely to result in 4-5 additional adoptions.
- Finley stole the heart of a great gal from IN, who was in the area visiting her mom. She has a 1 yr old male Siberian cat who will be Finley's buddy. Her application was approved and she is scheduled to pick Finley up on Friday. Her mom recently visited the cats in our mini-shelter as well, but ultimately adopted a Maine Coon kitty from ADOPT.
- Ruana is the favorite of a nice family from Glen Ellyn. Their application was approved and pick-up is scheduled for Friday as well. They have a 2 yr old male cat who will be Ruana's playmate. I'm sure Ruana will also be receiving lots of attention from their two teenage daughters, who were very good with her.
- Larissa and Lando are the current top picks of a great family from Naperville, who recently lost their second of two cats. They are looking for a bonded pair and may consider other possibilities as well. Their application was just approved, so follow-up visits are being scheduled.
Another application was also received which is under review. Many other visitors stopped by as well and cards/information were distributed.
Adoptions have been high during July and August relative to prior years. I am happy to report that we will have exceeded 1100 adoptions by the time of our 10K/1K celebration in October - in fact we just exceeded it this week!
15 kittens and cats were adopted from their foster home since our last adoption event (Pop, Boom, Woof, Babushka, Cicero, Petar, Tinker, Nilla, Ruba, Ruben, Nina, Bette, Orson, Otis, Meow).
PetSmart also graciously gave us a large food donation and an extraordinarily generous donor gave us a large monetary donation during the event. We greatly appreciate it! It will helps us feed and care for the many, many kittens we have.
Many thanks to the volunteers and fosters who made the event a success (Sara, Candy, Lauren, Debbie, Jill, Diane, Marjorie, Connie, Sarah, Jillian, Karen, Mary, Kaitlyn)! PetSmart appreciates that we bring in plenty of volunteers to set up and clean up on our own, appropriately monitor our cats & kittens, and interact with our guests. I believe they also appreciate all of the positive energy everyone brings to the event - thank you!
Thanks also for all of the "behind the scenes" activities - Candy - excellent photography & videography! Connie & Ted - great marketing and real time coverage on Facebook and our web site! Debbie & Mike - current updates to our Adoptable Cats & Kittens board & binder! Lauren - cute & creative cage cards! Sara - thanks much for your help with adoption counseling and data entry into PetSmart's iPad. Debbie - thanks much for your help transporting cats and handling all of the laundry.
Once again - another great team effort!!!
No adoption events next weekend, although we will be at Barkapolooza on Sunday, 9/24, at the Lisle Community Park located at 1825 Short St. in Lisle, event starting at 10am. Then there will be two action packed adoption weekends in a row:
- Saturday, 9/30 - Adoption event at Two Bostons at 2523 W 75th St in Naperville, from 12pm to 3pm.
- Saturday, 10/7 - Adoption event at Pet Supplies Plus at 198 W North Ave in Villa Park, from 11am to 3pm - Pet Supplies Plus National Adoption Weekend.
- Sunday, 10/8 - Adoption event at Congregation Etz Chaim Jewish Synagogue at 1710 S. Highland Ave. in Lombard, from 11am-2pm. We will be one of several charities they will be hosting for their Mitzvah Day.