It was a beautiful, warm spring/summer-like day for our adoption event on Saturday, 4/8, at the Pet Supplies Plus in Naperville. The good weather may have been a distraction to some potential adopters, but we did have several folks stop by to meet our great cats & kittens.
We handed out a number of cards and flyers to folks who were beginning their search for a new cat or kitten. We received a follow-up email inquiry on James Saturday afternoon. There was also a gal who was quite interested in Wayne. She has an FIV+ female and would like to get her a companion, although she has been an only cat for 5 or so years. Follow-up is underway together with discussion on introduction techniques.
3 kittens (Bali, Oriana, Sneekers) and 8 adult cats (James, Benji, Paige, Chablis, Wayne, Lady, Star, Tito) were the stars of our event. Everyone did very well. Bali has really turned the corner from a shy kitten into a lovely young lady who enjoys petting and cuddling. Oriana stole our hearts as she purred, rolled around and made happy paws as we petted her. Oriana's motherly instincts came out as she groomed and comforted her cage mate, Tito, who was a bit more unsure about the situation. Having just been rescued within the last week, Sneekers did amazingly well, enjoying petting, cuddling and attention. While he was not sure about leaving his carrier when he first arrived, Wayne settled in nicely and, as a handsome Maine Coon mix, greatly enjoyed the attention of his many admirers. Chablis and Paige were also very receptive to the loving and attention they received - they are wonderful girls. James, Benji, Lady, Star and Tito were all very well-behaved and responsive to our guests as they came to meet them.
While there were no adoptions at the event, there were several adoptions over the past couple of weeks that we can celebrate.
- Parsley and Hazel were adopted together by a family in Hoffman Estates. They had pet sat dogs & cats in the past and decided it was time to get some furry friends of their own.
- Al was adopted by a young man in St. Charles. He will have a 1.5 yr old male cat as a companion.
- Willard was adopted by a family in Brookfield, who had adopted another kitten from us 5 years ago. Willard had been previously adopted, together with his sister and brother, but the adopter decided that three kittens was a bit much for them and returned Willard. This new home seems to be a much better match for him.
- Patrick was adopted by a gal in Buffalo Grove. He will have a 7 mo old male kitten as a companion.
- Waylon was adopted by a family in Downers Grove. He will have 3 dog companions. He is already friends with 1 dog and getting acquainted with the others. Thanks to Christine for recommending this adopter!
- Arthur & Shadow were adopted together by a nice man in Westmont. They are getting settled in their new home and their adopter seems willing to give them the time needed to get adjusted.
- Luna was adopted by the family who met her at the 3/18 adoption event. She is their first cat and doing very well.
Two new volunteers joined us at the event - Marlen and Linda. Marlen stayed and helped us with set-up, clean-up and throughout the event. She may also be helping care for the cats in the mini-shelter as well as TNRing some cats in her neighborhood in Addison. Linda is looking to help with cat transport and TNR work in the Elgin area. Welcome to Marlen and Linda!
Many thanks to the volunteers and fosters who made the event successful, namely Sara, Marlen, Lauren, Candy, Debbie, Jill, Diane, Jillian, Nikki and Cheri. Set-up was efficient - thanks Sara, Marlen and Lauren! All foster cats & kittens arrived on time and did very well during the event - thanks Diane, Debbie, Nikki, Jillian, Cheri, and Judy! Clean-up was smooth - thanks Sara, Marlen, Candy, Debbie, and Jill! Although adoption traffic was a bit light, it was a great afternoon of camaraderie!
Special thanks to Candy for the excellent photography and videography during the event. Thanks to Connie and Ted for marketing the event on Facebook and our web site, thanks to Debbie for updating our Adoptable Cats & Kittens board, and thanks to Lauren for creating the cute cage cards for our cats & kittens.
Our next event is the Kitten Shower on Sunday, 4/30, 12noon-4pm at the Villa Park VFW Hall at 39 E. St. Charles Rd. in Villa Park. Our next adoption event is on Sunday, 5/7, 11am-3pm at the PetSmart at 63 Rice Lake Square in Wheaton. It will be PetSmart National Adoption Weekend.
Thanks much all,