While the weather forecast was rather ominous, the snow stayed away and the freezing rain was manageable during our adoption event on Saturday, 1/11, at the Wheaton PetSmart. The inclement weather did not seem to deter our guests as we had many folks stop by to meet and interact with our kittens and cats. 2 pre-approved adopters came to meet their potential new family members, 5 applications were completed and business cards were distributed to many more folks.
18 wonderful kittens (Latham, MayDay, Mayo, Brass, Mercury, Matilda, Ocean, Zippy, Raleigh, Felicia, Cece, Salty, Kiki, Puka Shell, Arby, Tula, Ruby, Rusty) and 1 sweet adult (Socks) were the stars of our show. Everyone did a great job of interacting with our guests both in their crates and in the back room during individual meet 'n greet sessions.
Although no one went home directly from the event, 5 adoptions are likely to occur within the next week:
- Cece, our pretty black/smoke medium fur girl, drew lots of attention from several potential adopters. A nice gal from Bartlett had submitted her application in advance and was approved pending an updated vet visit for her current cat. She fell in love with Cece and put a hold on her. Send home is targeted for later this week.
- Ruby was the pick of a young gal from Elk Grove Village. She was looking for an emotional support kitty to help her through her final semester of high school and possibly accompany her to college in the fall. Her family was pre-approved for adoption, but her parents were unavailable to attend the event. Adoption is targeted for later this week pending a visit with the family and resident dog.
- Puka Shell and Kiki won the heart of a terrific couple from Wheaton who had recently lost their beloved cat of 18 years. They completed an application, which has been approved, and adoption is targeted for later this week.
- Donnie, Brass and Rusty are the top choices of a wonderful family in Wheaton. They had previously adopted a cat through us in 2015, who is doing very well. They are looking for a male kitty to be a companion for the dad, as all other human and furry family members are female. They completed an application, which has been approved, and visits are scheduled for later this week.
Many thanks to PetSmart for hosting this event!
Adoptions outside of events slowed a bit over the holidays but have continued to proceed. 7 kittens (Dolby & Dottie, Ruben, Twiggy, Laces, Cachet, Saki) and 2 adults (Colby, Millie) were adopted from their foster homes since our last event in December.
We closed out 2019 with a total of 286 adoptions of kittens and cats into loving homes. Many thanks to the fosters and volunteers who made that possible!!
Thanks to the volunteers and fosters who made this event a success - Sara, Steve, Candy, Whitney, Michelle, Diane, Karen L, Laura B, Marge & Murray, Kaitlyn and Amanda. Everyone did a great job of interacting with our guests and introducing potential adopters to our kittens/cat. Thanks to Sara, Candy, Laura B, Karen L and Diane for hosting meet 'n greets in the back room and being my partners in adoption counseling. Thanks also to Diane for transporting Amanda's fosters to/from the event.
Many thanks for all of the other valuable contributions to this event - to Candy for the photography & videography during the event; to Connie, Stephanie and Ted for promoting the event on our Facebook page and web site; to Steve for the professional looking cage cards and the impressive Feral Fixers banner stand; to Debbie and Mike for the on-going updates to the Adoptable Cats & Kittens board and binder; to Sara for helping with the laundry; to Candy for washing the bowls. Special thanks to Murray for coordinating and funding our lunch run.
Although it is a short month, we have 3 adoption events scheduled in February to help us promote our older kittens and adult cats:
- Saturday, 2/1 - Two Bostons at 34 Danada Square W in Wheaton, from 11am-3pm
- Saturday, 2/15 - Pet Supplies Plus at 720 E. Ogden Ave. in Naperville, from 11am-3pm
- 2/29-3/1 weekend - PetSmart National Adoption Weekend - adoption event on Saturday or Sunday at PetSmart at 63 Rice Lake Square in Wheaton, from 11am-3pm - details will follow
Please mark your calendars!